Biotin deficiency can be treated by taking multivitamin, B-complex vitamins and individual supplements.
The deficiency of vitamin H is rare as it is synthesized by the beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract. Biotin deficiency is more commonly seen in patients with diabetes and mal-absorption, patients who are on complete parenteral nutrition or hemodialysis, and pregnancy.
Biotin Deficiency Symptoms
Potential biotin deficiency symptoms include:
- glossitis – a condition that makes the tongue swollen with a change in color
- conjunctivitis – swelling or inflammation within the lining of the eyelids; can cause blurred vision or crusts that form overnight.
- dry scale dermatitis
- ataxia – uncoordinated muscle movement
- and vomiting
Severe vitamin b7 deficiency may lead to hair loss and loss of hair color.
Health Benefits of Biotin
Biotin plays a key role in several metabolic reactions and blood glucose production . Biotin promotes healthy hair growth as well as that for your skin and nails.
Metabolic Benefits of Vitamin B7
Vitamin B7 acts as a crucial co-enzyme in the metabolism of lipids, proteins and carbohydrates. The biotin-dependent carboxylases catalyses pathways involved in gluconeogenesis and fatty acid synthesis. It is involved in the:
- synthesis of fatty acids from acetate
- formation of glucose from amino acids lactate and glycerol
- metabolism of essential amino acid, leucine
- metabolism of energy required for breakdown of cholesterol, amino acids and fatty acids
Hence, biotin plays a special role in the roper processing of blood glucose and utilizing it as a major source of energy for body fluids.
Vitamin B7 Use in Diabetes
Biotin largely involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates within your body, which in turn helps in keeping your blood sugar at healthy levels. Biotin supplements can help in both insulin dependent and non-insulin-dependent diabetes. Studies have shown that supplements containing this important nutrient can improve blood sugar levels as well as blood glucose levels. It also helps in preventing complications associated with progressive diabetes, for example it aids in reducing the symptoms of numbness and tingling in diabetic neuropathy.